Self care is essential for all of us but do you know things to do that actually meet your specific needs? We can be so out of practice with showing this type of care to ourselves that we may not know where to start. There are five different types of love languages and once you know what yours is, try these tips to practice true self care:
Words of Affirmation
- Create a personal mantra to repeat to yourself. Post this around your house and at work so you see it regularly.
- When you receive positive cards or messages, keep these in a box to look at them when you need a pick-me-up.
- Schedule time alone each day for at least 30 minutes. Journal, take a walk, intentionally rest, turn off your phone, listen to music--whatever helps you to have that time to refuel
- Take yourself out on a date. Pick up dinner or dessert, try a new activity, and get yourself dressed up like you would for a date!
- Add a “treat yourself” category to your budget. Be intentional about making this a priority and special.
- Invest in knowledge or education. See this as a gift to yourself as it benefits you overall.
Acts of Service
- Write a list of the tasks/things you get need to get done that will make you feel happier and less stressed
- Hire someone to do the work for you. If you can share the load with someone to take something off your plate, do it. It can be worth the investment.
- Try breathing exercises or meditation where you put your hand over your heart. Be intentional about connecting to your body.
- Pamper your body with a massage or skin treatment. Even if this is at home, plan a spa night and take time to actually self-indulge.
The great thing about this practice is you can use this as a talking point with your clients! If they’ve never heard of this before, this will be a positive focus in conversation to keep things light and something new to discuss. Whatever your love language is, we hope you can find what truly helps you get back to 100%.